As a Product Design Engineer at Amazon, I am fortunate to participate in the projects of Fire Tablets and Fire TV, through evaluation, the concept development to NPD delivery, working with Amazon's hardware R&D team in the workshop via applying design engineering techniques and thinkings properly to provide product solutions.
When I started my placement, as I was a fresher in tablet design, I was assigned the task of disassembling the competing tablet products and helped finish the tear-down reports of analysing these products, through measuring the parts by lab tools and doing some literature reviews of design engineering information in the open patents to refine our edge.
As the mission of Amazon promises to provide attractive e-commerce services and products to satisfy target customers’ needs, focusing on price, selection, and convenience, which also fits our Design Engineering Thinkings. Given this, I have approached everything I have done at Amazon with this lens and have sought to add value within development projects with the consideration of the costs, product functions, user experience, and manufacturing efficiencies.
After finishing the intern training, I got engaged in these projects and applied Design Engineering Skills:
- sketching and making CAD models in Creo for concept development,
- conducting test rigs and data analysis for product feasibility, or making DOEs solve technical issues,
- reviewing and modifying the technical drawings,
- making 3D printed prototypes for further prototypes,
- providing support on project management for ensuring that the projects are on track.